One explicit example of Pull My Daisy's comment on sexuality can be found in the opening title sequence. Prior to the film's opening, there is a title card for the production company. That title card reads: "A G-String Enterprise. Copyright 1959. By G-String Enterprises." G-String, huh? A skillful way to introduce the sexually driven force behind the film's narrative by naming the production company (the way the film is made) after the type of underwear often associated with sex appeal and scandalous performances, such as burlesque and exotic dancing.
Following the title card, there are shots that pan across the various areas that introduce the loft in which the film takes place, but it is the lyrics of the song that plays during the sequence that introduces the film's position on sexuality strongly.
The jazz tune that was produced for the film has lyrics that were written by Jack Kerouac,who also narrates the film. The lyrics heard are:
Tip my cup
All my doors are open
Cut my thoughts for coconuts
All my eggs are broken
Hop my heart on
Harp my height
Seraphs hold me steady
Hip my angel
Hype my light
Lay it on the needy."
Seems relatively mild right? Well through research, I found the complete lyrics for the song, and it is explicitly expressing sexuality. There are various lines throughout the song that suggest pleasure and climaxing, for example: "Bone my shadow, Dove my dream, Start my halo bleeding. Milk my mind and make me cream. Drink me when you`re ready." It is evident that this is referencing sex and the explicit description of sexual intercourse from the woman's perspective.
Jack Kerouac's influence on the film extends further than just writing the lyrics to the catchy song in the beginning. He serves as one of the writers of the poem in which the title of the film gets its name from and his play "The Beat Generation", influence Robert Frank and Alfred Leslie to make the film. Kerouac's major influence comes from his position as the narrator of the film. The narration was improvised in a sound room following the film. The chaotic nature of Kerouac's rambling and seemingly unsynchronized dialogue is fundamental for the cinema of the Beat Generation. However, it is the various overlapping of dialogue with images that sexualize his words. There a multiple shots of mouths. Mouths speaking, drinking, blowing on instruments, smoking, etc. These shots may correlate to the idea of oral fixations which are often linked to infant and childhood sexuality (Freud). Also, these shots are often matched or followed by the close-ups of legs and hands interacting with the legs/lap regions. An example can be seen at [11:15-11:20] and again at [13:19-13:26] where conversation is occurring and sexual tension is very present within the scene. The latter of the two is paired with the narration ""It's a kinda strange and interesting evening", says the Bishop."
Pull My Daisy explores sexuality in various ways, although not always explicitly displayed on the screen. The writers and other Beat Generation participants worked to produce a film that is traditional in aesthetics and formal techniques, but unorthodox in content and appeal. The various issues of the 50s-60s that were challenged by the members of the Beat Generation are the foundation for Pull My Daisy, and can be justified by the work involved in making the film.
I really like how conversational your blog is. I also remember you speaking in class about how it was interesting how the dad, milo, or the narrator made a comment about no more flute blowing, no more nonsense. Something along those lines. Yet even after the remark was made the man kept playing it. However the dad wasnt even mad that he was. Then in the end of the film every one was blowing on an instrument. I didnt tie it into sexuality at the time, I just thought it was the beat generation just doing what they were doing but the fact that you were able to tie it in to blowing being nonsense, and sexual was really interesting.
ReplyDeleteI honestly had no clue of any hints of homosexuality; you really did a great job in exploring the notion because now I can revisit those scenes and see the same. Of course we get some background information into the personal lives and relations of the filmed and behind-the-scene Beatniks from the pdf article, and from that we can establish more connections to the idea of portraying homosexuality in the film. I wonder what the film suggests about the Wife's (or a woman's) sexuality, if anything.
ReplyDeleteI noticed the hints of homosexuality throughout the film, but I'd be lying if I said I initially thought they were anything more than dated moments that would not have seemed odd in that time. I realize that the movie is only 65 years old, but the damaged film and specially crafted lighting and out of sync dialogue make it feel older. It seems like a subtle presentation of those aspects of the beat generation, never making a huge deal out of it but presenting it naturally, only as noticeable as it may have been in real life around that time, with occasional nods towards it to point it out to the audience.
ReplyDeleteIf you're gonna clap it out on my blog I better return the favor. Amazing job laying out things. I enjoy the fixation on the flutes. As someone else who has read Frued, and with you, I can understand it and its something I didn't even think about in the first few viewings I had of this film. It think its an amazing pick up that works as an undercurrent in the film. This paired with the opening song makes for an interesting read. I also find it funny that all of the men have instruments to blow on yet the women use their hands to play. I love your piece.
ReplyDelete